Monday 9 January 2012

A Bright Happy Birthday!

Hi!

Last Friday was my Sister-in-Law's Birthday and, as she was the person who inspired me to start making cards I couldn't let her down with a shop-bought card, could I ...? So here is the card I made for her:

This card layout is a sketch challenge over at Catch the Bug and proved to be a challenge for me as I've don't think I've ever really got to grips fully with matting and layering. However I love this layout, and I can see it's one that I will use many times as it's very versatile.
My Card Recipe is as follows:
  • Base card - embossed snow white card (250gsm) purchased from a local independent craft shop, and cut and folded to a 15cm (6 inch) square
  • Red Mat and Layer card - sooooo old, I think I bought it in the mid 1990s (from a local independent photocopy shop which has probably long since gone) for a Wide Game for Guides!
  • White Mat and Layer card - my favourite Centura Pearl Snow White 300gsm which I embossed using 2 different sizes of flowers on the embossing board Springtime Sweets & Cupcakes Treats with my Ultimate Pro - all from Crafter's Companion (one of my fave places!)
  • Design Paper and Sentiment are both from Create With TLC (my other most favourite place!) The paper is called Birthday Candy Paper 12 which is a goodie from The February Club. If you're really quick, you could join the club as Paulette has very generously opened it to new members for a few hours more -click here to read about it and, I can promise you, you will not be disappointed with the mail-outs. The sentiment is a TLC freebie which was offered on a blog challenge last month that Paulette was sponsoring.
  • Image is called Girl in Pretty Dress and she is a Jellypark digistamp, although I'm not sure she's available in the store (plenty more gorgeous images there to tempt you though!) Claire from Jellypark offered her as a freebie image for a challenge she was sponsoring in The Crafter's Cafe December 2012 Open House. To bring this little cutie to life, I've used my Spectrum Noirs in the following colours:
    • Skin - 135, 196, 137
    • Hair - 104, 100
    • Hairband - 11, 12
    • Dress - 11, 35, 33
    • Shoes - 96, 91
    • Outline - CG1
  • Design finished with 3 small pieces of Bling from my crafty stash - I think I've now been making cards long enough to be able to say that now! And, that feels good :o)!!!!
I would like to enter this card for the following challenges:


The wonderful Paulette at TLC has also showcased my card in one of her Creations Posts. Thanks Paulette!

Hugs, Helen x

    21 comments:

    1. Helen this is a gorgeous card, I bet your Sister in Law loved it, the colours you used are lovely nice and bright just what we need on these dark dreary days.

      Hugs Julie x

      ReplyDelete
    2. Such a wonderful card. I love the red matting and the embossing on the background too! Thanks for playing with our New/Old challenge at Jellypark Friends!
      Hugs,
      Georgia
      JPF DT

      ReplyDelete
    3. Your card turned out just adorable.
      Paulette

      ReplyDelete
    4. oh I so love this! she turned out just as precious as can be! I know that your SIL loved her! :)
      thank you for playing along in our 'old year/new year' challenge at Jellypark Friends. :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Awww this is so sweet. Love the backing papers and detail. Thanks for joining us at LCI Challenge this week.
      Diane xx

      ReplyDelete
    6. Sweet card, cute image and super colouring. Thanks for sharing at F'n'F this week.

      Pat xx

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thanks for playing with CMM, your colouring is perfect.

      ReplyDelete
    8. This is adorable! Thanks for joining us at Jellypark. :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Lovely card and great colour choices. Thanks for joining us at MMCS.
      Trudiexx

      ReplyDelete
    10. Lovely card you've made for your SIL!
      Thanks for joining us at Digistamps4joy!
      Hugs, Elenor DT

      ReplyDelete
    11. I just love how you did the image in the center - neat idea! Super card!

      We're so happy you joined us for theCatch The Bug NEW “Stella Says Sketch" Challenge with Bugaboo Stamps! We hope you’ll join us again on January 15 for a new sketch challenge!
      Hugs & Happy Days!
      ~Min
      Kaymin Kreations

      ReplyDelete
    12. This is such a nice, bright and cheerful card.

      Hugs, Heike xx

      ReplyDelete
    13. So beautiful!
      Many thanks for joining in the first Cute Card Thursday Challenge of 2012!
      Happy crafting, Debxx

      ReplyDelete
    14. I LOVE your creation! Thanks for joining us at our Digistamps 4 Joy Something old, Something new - Anything Goes" challenge.
      luv'n'huggz
      Jen Leeflang
      DS4J DT Lead

      ReplyDelete
    15. Cute, cute, cute! Looks fabulous with the image at the center! Thanks so much for joining our very first “Stella Says Sketch” challenge at Catch The Bug! We really appreciate your participation! ~~Sammibug,~~ Guest Designer For Bugaboo Stamps

      ReplyDelete
    16. Adorable! Love the bright colors. Thank you for playing along with Digistamps 4 Joy's Something Old/Something New challenge! I hope you join us again for our current challenge.

      xx Star

      ReplyDelete
    17. Wow this is gorgeous love the image and your design.
      Thanks for joining in at our Catch the Bug Anything Goes Challenge this week!
      Hugs Linda

      ReplyDelete
    18. oops meant to say the sketch challenge
      Hugs Linda

      ReplyDelete
    19. Hey Linda - no worries! I'd entered this card for both the Sketch and Anything Goes challenges!!! :o)
      Thanks for all your lovely comments ladies ... they are very much appreciated!
      Hugs, Helen x

      ReplyDelete
    20. This is just adorable thank you so much for playing along with our January anything goes Challenge, please join us again very soon! Dont forget our Birday Bash and Blog hope starts tom! http://catchthebugblog.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    21. Thank you so much for another comment on my blog. And congratulations on winning the stamp! :)

      Hugs, Heike xx

      ReplyDelete

    In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by leaving a comment on this blog you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and you therefore consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

    Thank you for leaving me a comment - I read and appreciate every one!

    Helen x